So Baj has blackmailed me into noting down a salad for her because she has too many apples lying around :) .. here goes:
3 apples, preferably red, washed, cubed. Leave the skin on!!
2 small potatoes, skinned, boiled, cubed
2 tblsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper powder
1 tblsp lemon juice
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup mayo
1 pack cream
walnuts - if you have them. I didn't :(
.. and this is what you should do..
- mix the apple cubes with lemon juice and sugar in a bowl, set aside
- mix the cream with the mayo, add the salt and white pepper
- tip in the cabbage to the apples
- add the potatoes
- mix lightly
- spread over the cream mix and toss and turn nicely.
- cool before eating
This is a nice crunchy, sweet/salty kind of salad. I really liked it. Would've been great if I had walnuts, they add crunch and taste great. By the way, made it just after our call :)
Monday, 22 October 2007
This is what you need:
1 & 2/3 cups, flour (185 grms)
1 & 1/2 cup ground sugar (340 grms)
2/3 cup cocoa (75 grms)
1/2 cup butter (117 grms) * weigh it and then melt it!
1 & half cup milk
1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
Strawberry/Cherry jam and cream & half a cup ground sugar extra
... and this is what you should do:
- grease a two similar sized tins
- preheat oven to not too hot!
- sieve together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt
- cream together butter and sugar
- add the eggs and beat to form a creamy mix
- add the vanilla and mix some
- tip in the flour mix and beat to a smooth consistency with milk
- fill tins and bake 20 - 25 mins.
- let the cake cool, take it out of the pan - careful! - its a very soft cake and can break!
- cut across, making two parts - or even three if you're very brave! I just make too separate ones! :)
- add the ground sugar to the cream
- so, once u've cut across, spread jam over one layer, top with cream and close the other layer on top. Spread jam on it and cover with cream. Basically you can decorate any which way you want. Its an easy cake and verrrry tasty, as I said :)
Some important notes:
- if u don't have two same sized tins, use one and cut across the middle
- check in between and if the sides come away from the tin, close the lower flame and switch on the grill on low, so that the cake bakes from above too.
- its important NOT to OVERBAKE. You'll lose the softness of it.